Tag Archives: mail

live//one

Well, I decided to blog about Windows Live Mail this time. I have been quite impressed by it so far.

What is Windows Live Mail?

Windows Live Mail is the successor for Hotmail. It’s codename “Kahuna” and I test around it. “Kahuna” is a Hawaiian priest or traditional healer according to Encarta. It has some issues with corporate firewalls or something I think. Windows Live Mail doesn’t work at my company for the past couple of weeks already. It uses AJAX to make cool features such as spellchecking as you type, faster searches and drag-and-drop support.

What is AJAX?

I like the whole AJAX thingy that has been going on. AJAX is basically an architecture that involves JavaScript, XML, DHTML and blah blah… It basically is the most talked-about technology in the internet.

An example of an AJAX application would be Gmail. To navigate from Inbox to Outbox, your page doesn’t seem to move. Basically the page stays and the information gets delivered to the page and is updated.

Think of a desktop application, when you click and drag things around, the respond is almost immediate. You don’t have to wait long for your information to appear, there is no flicker unlike a web link to the next page too.

AJAX aims to make web application seem faster. It is not as fast as a desktop application but it aims to be near to the speed and intuitiveness of a desktop application control. And Windows Live Mail aims to have both.

Calendar, Contacts and Today

Windows Live Mail is now in Beta and my mailbox’s size is 2GB now. In this post, I’ll show you how Windows Live Mail’s Calendar and Contacts page is like.

The calendar doesn't have any AJAX enhancements I think.

(The calendar doesn’t have any AJAX enhancements I think.)

I don’t think the calendar receive any major update. It still seems to be the same old calendar, just that it now just a new design. It looks more pleasent to me now. I have a feeling that it loads faster too. The calendar is a slight improvement but much more can be done to improve it using AJAX. [Click here for a larger image.]

Look! You can drag and drop contacts to manage your friends easily.

(Look! You can drag and drop contacts to manage your friends easily.)

The Contact list has been improved, you can now drag-and-drop your contacts easily. It’s a good feature. I only wish Windows Live Mail would make the importing and exporting of contacts more user-friendly. I love to be able to view all my contact’s names and email address in a form of a table too actually.

The Today page wasn’t available when I write though, it’s not ready. It suppose to have more gauge to show the remaining disk space. But it doesn’t appear to be ready at all.

More to come

Well, I’ve shown you the Contacts, the Calendar and the Today page. I haven’t shown you guys the mail, have I? I’ll get the images posted up to show how Mail looks like.

you//send

There are some instances where I am required to send attachments that are huge. Things like 20 MB. These stuff are usually picture. We are lazy people, okay, maybe I am just the only one who is lazy. You know pictures that you take from your digital camera? Sometimes those images can be 1.2 MB per image which is ridiculous and totally unfriendly to send to it your pal (especially when that poor fellow is on 56K).

While the best solution for these images is just to compress it since no one would probably need such a high resolution image anyway, the lazy solution is just to send everything through email. Yeah, all 20 MB until you realize that your favorite web email provider limits the attachment size to 10 MB (like Gmail). [Speaking of Gmail, I still have 50 invitations to give away!]

In this case, you may have to use some other way to pass these files to your pals. I found quite a strange service here called YouSendIt that can allow you to let your friends have your 20 MB worth of pictures.

Basically, you upload your pictures as a ZIP archive or something and then you insert your pal’s email address there. This service doesn’t even send the huge attachment to your friend. It just gives your friend a link to download the huge file that can be as much as 1 GB! [Read more on how does it work.]

The only problem I have with this service is that it is hard to upload 20 MB in the first place. HTTP is just not as good as the FTP when it comes to file uploading. My file probably gets time ping out at the 10^th^ MB.

happy//gouranga

I just receive this strange message in my inbox, now will anyone please tell me what is going on?

From: Neateye
To: Dew <dew@beconfused.com>
Date: Apr 28, 2005 4:21 AM
Subject: Gouranga

Call out Gouranga be happy!!!
Gouranga Gouranga Gouranga ….
That which brings the highest happiness!!

This can be considered spam, but my spam filters in Gmail did not catch this message. This email doesn’t seem to be advertising any bloody thing too. Gouranga? What the hell is this?

‘Gouranga’ can be a slang, a divine name or some Grand Theft Auto thingy. So what the hell is this ‘Gouranga’, I am quite tempted to reply the emailer but I won’t. That person probably wouldn’t reply and I am kind of lazy you see.

Gouranga is makes me more annoyed than happy. Well at least it’s not a penis enlargement advertisement.

two//gigs

I hope this is not an April Fool’s joke. So many sites are having it. At beconfused.com, there is no April Fool’s joke. I don’t like to fool people – I just confuse them.

**G is for growth**

Storage is an important part of email, but that doesn’t mean you should have to worry about it. To celebrate our one-year birthday, we’re giving everyone one more gigabyte. But why stop the party there? Our plan is to continue growing your storage beyond 2GBs by giving you more space as we are able. We know that email will only become more important in people’s lives, and we want Gmail to keep up with our users and their needs. From Gmail, you can expect more.

Source: Gmail

This is most probably following Yahoo‘s move to match Gmail by increasing their email web space to 1GB. Gmail now wants to have 2GB. Also, previous word has it that Gmail is getting out of the beta stage on April Fool’s too.

Right now, my Gmail mail box is increasing gradually, now it says – You are currently using 81 MB (5%) of your 1770 MB.

I have 1770 MB already? I can’t check if it’s an April Fool’s joke, but in my previous post, Google came out with the Google Gulp thing to fool people. Would this be yet another April Fool’s joke? I certainly hope not. We’ll just have to wait till tomorrow (when it’s not April Fool’s) to find out the truth behind this.

On a side note – Microsoft, are you listening? It’s time to finish your mailbox upgrade to 250 MB, and also you can start considering a 500 MB email instead already. The more the merrier I suppose. Now there are these web mail providers offering 250 MB and more web mail space – Gmail (2000 MB probably), Yahoo Mail (1 GB soon!), Lycos UK (300 MB) and Hotmail (250 MB).

I never found a good use for email web space frankly speaking, in my opinion, 100 MB is a blessing and 20 MB is enough.

UPDATE: I just checked my Gmail and it now says – You are currently using 81 MB (4%) of your 2050 MB. I have 50 Gmail invites again! Do you want an invitation to Gmail?

gmail//live

Gmail’s getting out of the beta stage and going live on April 1st! At least to some Google watchers (you know, as in bird watchers and Google watchers).

Gmail Logo

Gmail is the first web email service that offers 1GB of web space to store all your junks and attachment. I use it all the time. It is quite reliable. There are a couple of times my mails get gobbled up without warning as I send some Visual Basic .NET files over, but asides that, it’s no problem.

I wouldn’t recommend people to use it for their work if you trade source codes often though.

I just hope this isn’t an April Fools’ joke. April 1st has some more important event for me though.

In the meantime, if you can’t wait for a Gmail account, I can always invite you!

[via Jess' Blog]

fifty//gmail

Er, I have like 50 Gmail invitations to give off. If there are anyone who is interested, just drop me a comments with your email and say something like, “hey, I want one!” and I’ll send an invite to you.

Gmail Logo

There was a time this Gmail invitations are so rare. I got my Gmail account through Blogger when they’re looking for beta tester. No, I am not a beta tester, I’m just a curious guy who’s greedy and wants a 1 GB email account. Anyway, these invitations are up for grabs.

Alternatively, you can send me a personal email here – dew@beconfused.com – and I’ll invite you too. :)

reduced//drive

This is just too embarassing.

**Reduction in Disk Quota in your M: drive**

To better utilise our computer resources, we have reviewed the disk storage allocations to all students in our computer system. In this review, we compared the disk space allocation with other Polytechnics. After this review, we have decided to reduce the disk space given to your home folder (the ‘M’ drive) from 100 MB to 50 MB.

Source: School email

From 100 MB to 50 MB? Singapore Polytechnic students would experience this cut. I don’t think it is a good idea frankly speaking. Everytime I see the words ‘M: drive”, it can’t be anything good. The ‘M’ drive is mapped into the student’s personal disk space which – in case you haven’t read the above – is 50 MB now.

To many students, the Internet Exlorer cache alone takes up to 20 MB and many students didn’t realize the need the clear it at all. Plus classes may include files that are 10 MB to run a program, I don’t remember which program requires that though, it is in one of my classes and those files need to be in the student’s personal drive.

And if this student deals with multimedia, how the hell is he going to create a 3D movie with just 50 MB? No way! And if the student is a programmer, he’ll use up the space pretty quickly if he does back up his work periodically in the student drive.

Gmail has 1 GB, MSN Hotmail has announced to increase their mail space to 250 MB even. Hard disk price is so cheap nowadays. What is with not allowing the students to get 100 MB? It’s not a lot frankly speaking. Why is my school being so petty?!

Perhaps Singapore Polytechnic did a promotion tie in with some company that does USB removable disk devices because – trust me – the students seriously are going to need one.